Employer CAT information
How do employers add courses to the exemption matrix?The success of the BANKSETA RPL and CAT portal depends partially on the willingness of employers to have their internal courses mapped to unit standards. By facilitating this mapping, you:
- Allow staff and ex-staff to earn nationally recognised qualifications without needing to repeat learning already attained on your internal courses;
- Change the status of your non-formal courses to formal, which enables you to submit the costs s part of your training spend for BBBEE scorecard reporting purposes (they become category E instead of category F or G);
- You add value to the internal training by allowing it to be formally credentialed by those who wish to use it in this way;
- You have an opportunity to get feedback on your internal training and possibly include skills elements that you didn’t consider but which are in the national unit standards;
- You allow staff a mechanism to earn a full qualification or partial qualification in their own time, using what you have provided and recognition of prior learning (RPL) through the BANKSETA portal. This reduces pressure on the learning and development ream and budget
How do you apply to get your internal courses mapped?During the setup of the BANKSETA RPL and CAT portal, BANKSETA will fund the development of the CAT matrices.
Simply contact either firstname.lastname@example.org or CharmaineJ@bankseta.org.za to set up a meeting to discuss your needs.
Once the portal is established and you have additional or new courses to have mapped, simply contact CharmaineJ@bankseta.org.za to arrange the mapping.
What do you look at during the mapping?The following is considered when evaluating a non-formal course to see if it can be aligned to national unit standards:
- The content of the internal course and how it matches to the BANKSETA unit standards or full qualification;
- The academic level of the internal training to make sure it has parity with the BANKSETA qualification/unit standard;
- The intensity of the internal training to ensure it is at the same credit value as the BANKSETA qualification;
- The assessment – again to make sure it meets BANKSETA’s quality requirements;
- The record keeping of the employer or provider – to ensure that this is verifiable and fair.